Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Applesauce is Easy (Unless your me!!!)

So ... I think I will start this out with I was born a dishwater blond, please remember that!


I learned a lot about apples, applesauce and just how dumb I can be this past week.  First I will start with what I learned about apples.  #1 - 25 lbs of apples is a lot of apples (I set out to farmers market to pick up 8 lbs of apples for applesauce, and ended up coming home with a 25 lb box - Thanks Todd (my husband) ... that was a great idea!!!  #2 - 25 lbs of apples sitting on the table in the kitchen looks like a very big task, which makes it easier to procrastinate!

Well, after several days of walking by the apples and wondering what I got myself into ... I decided it was time to start making applesauce (I did not want my 25 lbs of apples to rot before I dealt with them!)  So after putting Easton to bed I dug out my recipe to make a batch of applesauce using 4 lbs of apples (which I decided to double) and started.  I wash a large portion of apples, cut them in quarters, remove the cores and any bad spots and put the in the pot until I have reached my 8 lbs.  *THIS IS WHERE YOU SEE JUST HOW DUMB I CAN BE - INSTEAD OF WEIGHING JUST THE APPLES, I WAS WEIGHTING THE APPLES AND THE POT AND DIDN'T REALIZE IT UNTIL THE END OF THE PROCESS!!!*


 I put my "8 lbs" of apples on the stove with 1 cup of water and let them simmer for approximately 15-20 minutes until the skins are easy to remove with a pair of tongs.


After all the skins are removed you can either mash your apples if you like chunky applesauce or use a blender to make it smoother.  I chose to use the blender since Easton is used to eating the store-bought applesauce which is smooth.


After you get the right consistency then you add your spices, and if I would have measured my apples right this would have been perfect.  But instead, I ended up with super-spicy applesauce and spent the next 2 hours cooking down more apples and adding them to make it less spicy.

Once you get the right flavor place applesauce in warm jars (I used pints and 1/2 pints).  Wipe rims, add lids, screw on rings, and process in a boiling water canner for 15 minutes.  Remove jars from canner and let them cool on a towel-lined counter top.

What I learned about applesauce:  #1 - if you use correct measurements it is very easy to make, but it does take quite a bit of time.  #2 - Easton does not like warm applesauce (I let him try it from the second batch I made and he was "mommy warm - icky!")  #3 - 25lbs of apples does not really make that much applesauce!

END RESULT (YUMMY!)
 and an empty box!!!

Here's the original recipe if anyone wants to try it:
  4 lbs apples
  1/2 cup apple cider or water
  1 Tbsp cinnamon
  1 tsp grated nutmeg
  1/2 tsp cloves
  sugar (if needed)

Process jars in boiling water canner for 15 minutes for half pints and pints or 20 minutes for quarts.

No comments:

Post a Comment