Sunday, September 19, 2010

Mom's Flower Pot Cakes

Well, I couldn't just start the blog with an introduction ... I had to post my most recent project.  I wanted to to something special for my mom's birthday (it was Friday) but we couldn't make it to see her until Saturday and I wanted to make her smile!  So I did a little looking on-line and found this idea to do flower pot cakes!  They ended up turning out super cute and my mom liked them. 




For anyone interested in making them they also were pretty easy and not to expensive (less than $30 for 12).  I started off getting 12 of the pots (.79 each) and washed and dried them.  I cheated and used 2 boxed cake mixes for the cake (I had bought them on sale!).  When you go to bake the cake spray the inside of each pot with Pam and then coat with flour or baking cocoa (my choice).  Place a little piece of parchment paper in the bottom to cover the hole and fill the pots about 1/2 full (I had a couple that were to full and spilled out in the oven - I ended up just cutting the tops off and using them anyways!).  Bake for about 35 - 40 minutes.  After they cooled I took a knife around the outer edge and popped out each cake to remove the parchment paper before decorating (I didn't want my family to accidentally eat it!).  Frost with chocolate frosting and sprinkle with chopped up Oreo cookies (centers removed).  Last step was inserting the fake flowers (I bought them at Michaels 50% off - so they were about .99 each)

No comments:

Post a Comment